Iconic, Sporting, Fun Arrives in the Middle East: The New Golf GTI.
Volkswagen Middle East gave me the amazing opportunity to test drive this pocket-rocket over the weekend last month, and what a weekend it was.
One of my most favourite cars on the road to date, the Golf GTI has everything I love in cars. It’s small, compact, fast, tough as hell, eco-friendly and so damn sexy.
Superior dynamic performance and progressive steering paired with the prestige and heritage of the GTI product brand, this little pocket-rocket is out to prove a point to all hatchbacks.
The legendary compact sports car is powered by a turbocharged petrol, direct-injection engine (TSI) with 162 kW / 220 HP coming as standard and accelerates to 100 km/h in 6.5 seconds, reaching a top speed of 244 km/h.
Of course, the new Golf GTI is distinguished from other cars in the model series by numerous additional features and classic GTO insignia. On the exterior, they include the red painted brake callipers, smoked LED rear lights in the custom design as well as chrome tailpipes on the left and right.
The production colours Red, known famously as “Tornado Red”, has been typical for the Golf GTI since its early days. Also standard on-board the most powerful, fastest and fuel-efficient Gold GTI ever, are the newly designed 18-inch “Austin” alloy wheels.
As a classic with cult status, the Golf GTI systematically combines sportiness and driving fun with the strengths of the Golf into a unique concept of compact sport sedans.
The GTI instrument cluster makes a strong statement with a colour display and unique instrument graphics. The GTI-specific look in the interior is rounded out by such features as an independent leather sport steering wheel (with multifunction keys), red ambience lighting (in front, in the trim strips of the doors and the stainless steel door still guards) and pedals made of brushed stainless steel.
– Engine: Four-cylinder TSI (turbocharged direct petrol injection); front transverse engine; displacement 1,984 cc; bore/stroke 82.5/92.8 mm; compression ratio 9.8:1.
– Power: 162 kW / 220 PS from 4,500 to 6,200 rpm.
– Torque: 350 Nm from 1,500 to 4,400 rpm.
– Gearboxes / drive type; automatic 6-speed DSG; front-wheel drive.
– Brakes: Disc brakes front and rear, front 312 x 25 mm, ventilated; rear 300 x 12 mm.
– Fuel consumption / CO2 emissions: 6.0 l/100 km; 139 g/km CO2. Driving performance (manual): 0-100 km/h in 6.5 s; V/max 244 km/h.
– Unladen weight: 1,351 kg (base version including driver [68 kg], luggage [7 kg] and 90 % filled fuel tank; calculated as per RL 92/21/EEC.
Follow everything Volkswagen Middle East on: